In 1928, the idea of having a town forest led to the creation of the Town Forest Committee. In 1929, Town Meeting authorized the Selectmen to purchase a town forest of about 100 acres, and they proceeded to acquire an "approximately" 100 acre parcel on Groton Street, to be known as the George Pierce Town Forest. The price was $300 for what turned out to be 133 acres. In 1930 and 1931, the Town Improvement Committee, the Dunstable Grange and Town Meeting provided money for planting 10,000 trees (white, pine, red pine, and spruce). In 1935, the Town accepted the bequest of 35 acres from Martina Gage; this land was turned over to the Town Forest Committee in 1938.
The Pierce and Gage town forests are managed by the Town Forest Committee for the production of forest products on a sustainable basis. The Committee follows a forestry plan prepared by New England Forestry Consultants for the Pierce Town Forest. In addition to timber and pulp, the town forests provide carbon sequestration, aquifer recharge, wildlife habitat, noise and light barriers, aesthetics, and recreation through a system of trails. Since 1928, the Town Forest Committee has consisted of three appointed members who meet on an "as needed" basis. Meetings are posted. Town forests are classified as "dedicated open space" meaning they cannot be used for any other purpose.
Description provided courtesy of Alan Chaney, member.